Sites mentioned in the video:
Mr Pinhole: http://mrpinhole.com/
Draw angles on-line: https://rechneronline.de/winkel/angles.php
This camera’s specs:
Focal length: 91mm
Pinhole diameter: 0.4mm
F Stop: f/226
Film diagonal using 4×5″: 163mm
Angle of view: 83.7 degrees
Film: Instax Wide 800 ISO, & Arista EDU Ultra 100 ISO (actually Fomapan 100)
The neighbor’s red barn. 1/5 second at f/226.
Not a lot to show. I had the Instax and 4 sheets in the holders, one of which became this…
Normally, it’s solid green. I played with it after seeing the color of the rinse water.
Not news to anyone familiar with large format (I’m not) but the notch is so you know which way is which in the dark. When the notch is on top, at the right, the emulsion is facing you. In the above image, you’re looking at the backing.
I actually have a 4X5 developing tank. I got it when I bought most of a darkroom from a guy in Santa Fe. He’s getting out of film photography to concentrate on restoring an old Lotus. Sometimes you have to choose and whichever passion is pulling you the strongest wins. Any way, it’s cool but it’s made to do a bunch of sheets at once and it takes a LOT of chemicals. So, I used the “taco” method to develop. You fold, well, gently bend, and put a hair tie around the film to keep it from coming undone. The Yankee tank I usually use wasn’t quite deep enough but I also got a Paterson from the same guy and it clears the 4″ height of the negatives. No reels but you have to keep in the center cylinder so it’s light tight. You can squeeze in 4 tacos but I only had the three to develop.
There’s a good taco development visual how-to on Flickr by Tony.
Rocks near Chimayo, NM.
More rocks. I lost a lot of the image to a light leak.
This one really is portrait format – I tilted the ball head on the tripod all the way over.
I’m nearly caught up! Well, I have to scan two rolls and develop and scan another but that’s pretty close to caught up.
Nice coverage by the old lens. 6X9cm is a lot of film.
This one is cropped & contrast tweaked – not sure if it was lens flare or a light leak.
I scanned at 4800DPI so it made some huge (20+MB) files. Preview.app on the laptop was really struggling to resize the images. The images displayed while the hamster wheel was working full blast are interesting.
Screen grab of the tree image in the video during resizing