Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day 2020 (backup and backup-backup)

For 2020, I’m doing an extremely-long-exposure photograph or solargraph. The Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day rules are that the photograph must be taken “on the day annually designated as Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day ( April 26, 2020 )” or “Extremely long exposures will be accepted if any part of the exposure was made on Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day…”

I started the exposure on 1 May 2019 and I want to do a full year. That means if the exposure is a bust, I’ve missed WPPD and I’ve got nothing.

So… I decided to make another pinhole camera and use a scanner. I used a USB powered Canon LIDE 30 as a digital back and VueScan and TWAIN-SANE software. The results are not a supreme victory but first, the camera.

JPEG from a PDF page print from http://mrpinhole.com/. I used 8×10 inches as the portion of the 8.5×11″ scanner in case I had to resort to paper. The 16″ film dimension is insurance and a trade off to get the specs I wanted.

I wanted to keep exposure simple and let in a lot of light so I chose a 1mm pinhole and a 10 inch (254mm) focal length to get f/256-ish, a nice power of 2.

I wanted to keep exposure simple and let in a lot of light so I chose a 1mm pinhole and a 10 inch (254mm) focal length to get f/256-ish, a nice power of 2.


It's big so the image won't be super sharp but the pinhole came out pretty well.

It’s big so the image won’t be super sharp but the pinhole came out pretty well.


Foamboard is versatile stuff.

Foamboard is versatile stuff.


I had to actually think about how to get the required sizes from a 20x30" piece. The horror!

I had to actually think about how to get the required sizes from a 20×30″ piece. The horror!


Hot glue is wonderful stuff. Too bad I didn't account for the thickness in the construction calculations (had to fudge a bit).

Hot glue is wonderful stuff. Too bad I didn’t account for the thickness in the construction calculations (had to fudge a bit).


I made it too tall on purpose but the 1st rough cut is fugly.

I made it too tall on purpose but the 1st rough cut is fugly.


It sanded up rather nicely.

It sanded up rather nicely.


Pinhole mount coming along.

Pinhole mount coming along.


Pinhole READY TO ROCK! Too much? Anyway, I'm excited.

Pinhole READY TO ROCK! Too much? Anyway, I’m excited.


Black construction paper to fill in the gaps.

Black construction paper to fill in the gaps.


The assembled beast.

The assembled beast.


Sadly, in the short term, it was not to be. I got something, but nothing to write home about.

Tree in the back yard.

Tree in the back yard.


Different scan settings. Tree in the back yard.

Different scan settings. Tree in the back yard.


I’m not completely ignorant about exposure. Something is going on with the scanner. I even tried an emergency, 1/2 the focal distance (f/128-ish) cardboard box.

Maybe this will help.

Maybe this will help.


Not happy with the results, I had to implement plan C. I replaced the scanner with print paper.

The super-complex, 8x10 print paper taped to a piece of foam board version.

The super-complex, 8×10 print paper taped to a piece of foam board version.


The result is pretty sweet. I’m not insane (about this any way) and the camera works well.

Tree in the back yard. Inexpensive Arista photo paper negative. Metered for ISO 6 at f/256.

Tree in the back yard. Inexpensive Arista photo paper negative. Metered for ISO 6 at f/256.

I’m up late and it’s actually May 1st. At about 3:00 PM local time I’ll cover the shutter and find out if the long exposure worked.