Tag Archives: Lomography

52 Cameras: Camera 59 part 2 – Lomography Supersampler

Thanks Bill!

As far as treating this like an experiment, I did pretty much everything wrong. I had nothing but variables.

I used a camera I’d never used before.

It was loaded with unknown el-cheapo 400 film that came with the camera. The label, including the DX coding, was a sticker. It wasn’t even Lomo-branded, just a sticker.

I’d never processed color print film before so saying I’d never used the chemicals (Unicolor C-41 kit) before is kind of redundant.

Just to be a complete fool, I used a reel and tank I’d never used before too. It’s a Paterson set I got from Goodwill. The plastic reel is almost the same as the Yankee I used for the 120 B&W but I had a heck of a time getting it loaded in the dark bag. And, of course, the tank lid leaked like a $#@! when I inverted it.

I also ignored the camera manual where it says not to bother using it indoors. I tried to catch the cats in action in the house and got a whole lot of nothing.

Astonishingly, I got 11 frames with something on them. Eight of them are even reasonably well exposed.

Here are three with a wee bit of visual interest.

A bird was flying by but I was too slow on the draw.  I like the trees any way.

A bird was flying by but I was too slow on the draw. I like the trees any way.

He's not driving backwards -- I stuck the camera out the window as I passed.

He’s not driving backwards — I stuck the camera out the window as I passed.

Next door raven shot through the living room window.

Next door raven shot through the living room window.

Some crops from the raven photo.

Raven1

Raven2

Raven3

Raven4

There is a lot of exposure variation from lens to lens but that’s part of the adventure with strange, cheap cameras. It’s a lot of fun to use so we’re already burning through another roll. Negatives scanned at 4800DPI on a Canoscan 9000f and resized for upload. Straightened, cropped, and a small color tweak in Photoshop.



Processing notes:
Based on what I’ve learned from processing this roll, the next one will get a rinse between the developer and blix. I’ll also do a post-stabilizer rinse and Photoflo — there were a lot of water spots. I’ll practice with the Paterson reel and use the Yankee if it’s hosed. I may use the Yankee tank any way since it doesn’t leak. I need to get some small containers so it’s easier to keep track of the age of the chemicals.