Fuji ISO 200 film of unknown vintage. Some grain in low light but not bad for being in someone’s garage. Processed and scanned by The Camera Shop of Santa Fe.
Bulb and writing with the cats’ laser pointer.
Sleepy Zoe. Mostly shots of the cats on this roll. Handheld at f/1.7 at ~ 1/30.
Goober. Handheld at f/1.7 & ~1/30.
Goober with flash. F/16 & 1/90 at 3 feet*.
* With the old Achiever 115A flash, ISO 200 should be at f/22 at 3 feet but the Rokkor-X PF 50mm f/1.7 only stops down to f/16. Exposure compensation wouldn’t help since the exposure is based on the flash duration and the only correction the camera could do would be to double the shutter speed at -1 exposure compensation (to adjust the exposure down to ISO 100 which is on the flash table at f/16 and 3 feet). A -1 stop ND filter would work but I didn’t have one handy. I got lucky with the film’s exposure latitude (or it’s slower because it’s old) and it’s not overexposed.
F/1.7 = tiny depth of field. I tried to focus on Trinity as she came towards me. With the shutter so slow it’s hard to tell.
I darkened everything but her eyes. Lemonade!
One more of Zoe just because I like it.
I turned on the den light & remembered the camera was on the tripod just outside the window. I thought I’d ruined the shot and stopped the exposure at about 10 minutes.
Update 26 November 2016
Scroll down for results from the tutorial shoot.
Tutorial part 1 — getting the camera ready to shoot.
Tutorial part 2 — using the camera.
While I finish out the roll and process, here are some images from about a year ago shot using this camera. FPP RetroChrome 320 slide film. It’s grainy but nice. I used it when I shot with the Promaster 2000PK too. Developed in hopelessly exhausted E6 chemicals.
Morris parked at the Co-Op.
Iron Giant while Meow Wolf was still under construction.
Sticks behind a chain link fence.
Tutorial Shoot Images
Ilford Pan F 50 expired “Dec 2002”. Developed in Kodak HC-110.
Jem grooming Goober — no flash.
Jem grooming Goober — with flash.
Compost pile under cloudy sky.
Roses — macro with 4000 AF flash.
“We don’t make mistakes. We have happy accidents” — Bob Ross
I had a plethora of “happy accidents”. I…
Misread the expiration on the film box. If I had realized it was 14 years out of date, I would have adjusted the shooting ISO downward or used different film.
Didn’t check the internal battery and wasted a frame opening the back to reset the counter to ‘1’.
Underexposed shots of the gatos using a 2800 AF flash that was malfunctioning. Jem did start grooming Goober so it turned out to be a better image.
Tried to share the roll with another camera by cutting it in half in the dark bag after I shot the first half. I misjudged half way and ruined the apple depth-of-field test images.
The film felt odd going on to the developing reel but I was in a hurry and didn’t take the time to re-spool. The film jumped the guides and stuck together and came out completely near the end of the film, leading to over-agitation marks on ~ 5 frames.
The rest were shot using expired (1999) 200 ISO Konica “Baby Film”. It was supposed to capture the delicate tones and textures of a baby’s skin. I should have gotten images of a baby just for the irony — most of the frames had horrendous color shifts. I got it in a box of film and disposable cameras from a guy cleaning out his garage. Not ideal storage conditions. I’m hoping the APS film (the reason I bought the lot) fared better.
This is a cool camera. The images I’ve gotten so far are kind of funky. Exposure and focus are pretty good but the color balance is nuts. I think it’s the expired Impossible Project film — every batch gets better but it still doesn’t have the stability or shelf life that Polaroid’s integral films had. Yet. Scanned on a 600DPI Canon MF8350, straightened, and cropped.
Zoe on her bed. No special features used. It’s a catnip cigar ya perv.
Color balance and levels. To get enough red to make her fur the right color, the wall is red too.
30 second long exposure and a laser pointer.
This is more like what I saw. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Close up lens. Darkened a bit. Some are yellow and some are white but it wasn’t captured.
A gloomy day and I let some light hit the print trying to get it into my pocket.
Converting to B&W with a digital infrared filter makes a creepy image.