Tag Archives: ProPack

Polaroid ProPack Revisited (with old non-instant film)

With the broken rollers and pinholes in the bellows, I felt like this camera didn’t get a fair shake. This will probably make more sense if you see the original post first.

I had some unopened film in the freezer…

Here’s the film:

VERSAPAN GAFSTAR - not kidding about the heavy base. This stuff is thick.

VERSAPAN GAFSTAR – not kidding about the heavy base. This stuff is thick.


Type 2831.

Type 2831.


It's only 46 years expired. Piece of cake.

It’s only 46 years expired. Piece of cake.


100 pack film is 3.25×4.25 inches so this is a little too tall to fit in a film pack. I trimmed it in the dark bag. My cutter won’t fit in the bag so I used scissors. It came out as an irregular quadrilateral rather than a rectangle but it fit.

I haven’t repaired the bellows so I wrapped it, similar to the job on the Kodak Six-20.

The paper that was around the film roll and black console tape.

The paper that was around the film roll and black console tape.


And finally…
An image!

An image!


The setting for original pack film on the camera is ISO 80 but Fujifilm FP100-C works without adjustment. From what I can find (not much) the GAF Versapan was ISO 125 when new. I’ve had it frozen but I don’t know its history so I figured it lost some speed. I got it backwards in my head and adjusted the Polaroid’s exposure dial to darken about 1/2 click. It is a bit dark but I didn’t have to do much post-processing, just cropping and dust cleanup, so I think this film is still ISO 100-ish. Developed for 5 minutes in HC-110 dilution B (1+31). I’ll have to do more testing. Now that I know it works and have a rough idea of speed, I can make 116 film and use some more ancient cameras!

One final note. It’s pan film, as in panchromatic, but the color sensitivities are interesting. And… never mind the cats knocked the balloons off the chair so I can’t map the colors. Any way, the colors are interesting. More testing to come.

52 Cameras: # 185 — Polaroid ProPack




Update 20 December 2019: I shot a frame of GAF Versapan in this camera. This post got too long so I moved it to another post

.
A lot of duplication with what is in the video. 10 frames in the pack & the first one jammed. Another, I had a dud bulb in a flash cube and it was black.

This is frame 2. Frame 1 jammed & I exposed this one getting it out.

This is frame 2. Frame 1 jammed & I exposed this one getting it out.


You can tell the bellows pinholes are small because the ghosts have diffraction effects.

You can tell the bellows pinholes are small because the ghosts have diffraction effects.


Looking for an article about diffraction, I discovered digital bellows leak filters are a thing.

Asters in the yard.

Asters in the yard.


Jem & Goober. No sunlight but I was right under the kitchen lights.

Jem & Goober. No sunlight but I was right under the kitchen lights.


Tried spreading developer with a bottle while it processed.

Tried spreading developer with a bottle while it processed.


The manual dev-goo spreading worked a little. The lighter area at middle left would have been blank. Not keeping tight control of pressure, I also lifted some developer – the white areas in the print – and spread it too thin – the light area to the right of Goober. I’d only seen the fern pattern with integral film before. Maybe I can tweak roller pressure and get better results out of Polaroid Originals/Impossible film.

Borrowed the rollers from a Color SuperPack and got proper developing.

Borrowed the rollers from a Color SuperPack and got proper developing.


The picture of Trinity above is a bit overexposed. I was too close and forgot to turn down the ProFlash power setting.

Looking closer, this isn't missing development, it's the bathroom wall. Dev problem would be on the left.

Looking closer, this isn’t missing development, it’s the bathroom wall. Dev problem would be on the left.


Cropped square and auto white balance in GIMP.

Cropped square and auto white balance in GIMP.


I couldn’t figure out why I was getting the beach-ball-of-death while resizing images in Preview. I’d opened the images stored on the iMac from the laptop. Apparently, I was closing Preview before the saves were complete and it did strange things.
The only interesting strange thing.

The only interesting strange thing.