Made In Chicago Museum’s article on Spartus, Jack Galter, & the “Chicago Cluster”.
Boys’ Life from Google Books.
At first i thought I took this one but it has a frame number from before the bend in the film.
Not much for images — the shutter still sticks. Here’s the disassembly/attempted repair experiment.
It’s pretty easy to get inside to the shutter. The first tear-down was more thorough — I removed the insert that goes from the back of the shutter to the film plane and disassembled the viewfinder. There are two screws inside the light-tight chamber.
Expired Lomo ISO 100 B&W that came with M’s Diana. I’m pretty sure it’s really Shanghai or Lucky. The emulsion and backing paper are really thin so longer exposures have the same problem I had with the Voigtlander (week 9). What looks like grain or a noisy scan is the texture (and sometimes the dots and numbers) of the backing paper showing on the negative.
A few shots came out OK. I’m really happy about that since this is the first roll I have ever processed. I used Diafine, because it’s pretty much idiot-proof, and Arista Universal Rapid fixer at ~ 70F.
Scanned on the Canon 9000f at 1200DPI. Straightened and cropped but no exposure tweaks.
This is a nice camera. The shutter and aperture controls are a bit stiff but they’re loosening up with use. The shutter speeds seem pretty close. It may be a couple of weeks but I’ll run another roll through it.
Kodak Ektar 100 film. Scanned on the Canoscan 9000f at 1200 DPI and resized for upload. A little cat hair cleanup in Photoshop but minimal exposure tweaks and no color correction for the bluish Ektar.
Techne has smiled upon me. I like to do a test run with a camera before committing to it as the camera of the week but I was so stoked to try the Yashica, I went for it.
I found interesting subject matter, used excellent Ilford XP2 Super 400 B&W film, The Camera Shop of Santa Fe did their usual stellar processing, and the camera was a delight. Even the Canoscan 9000f behaved (as well as it ever does). This was 120 film. Later, I’ll run some 35mm through the Yashica. There was a 35mm roll in the camera when I got it but sadly, no Bigfoot or Jimmy Hoffa pictures. It was blank.
Exposure values are ballpark accurate. Some I wrote down and some I didn’t. Scanned to TIFF (millions of colors) at 4800 DPI, converted back to B&W in Photoshop, and resized (~10%) and converted to JPEG for upload.
I’ll let her tell the tale of our dinner. She’s the writer. I just take the pictures.
I realized after posting that I had film upside down in the scanner and the images are mirror image.
I used Pocket Light Meter. Photos were a little overexposed so I adjusted a couple a smidge in Photoshop. I wouldn’t be surprised if a 55-year-old shutter was a wee bit slow. The only thing I did to the camera was clean the lenses.
There may be more photos coming. I shot a roll of Lucky Film B&W at Fairview Cemetery but Visions Photo Lab only processes black and white on Wednesdays. Visions is a great independent lab, they still do E-6 too.
My head’s not that round but I still have a goofy shadow in the foreground.
Usually the problem with this camera is getting enough light since the aperture is so small (f7.7). Using Fuji 400 on a sunny day, I had the opposite problem. The fastest shutter speed is 1/75, minimum aperture is f16, and I didn’t get any filters with the camera.
The lens’s vignetting really shows up with bright color film. I keep forgetting to use the frame counter instead of the red window. The frame size on this camera is 6cm X 6cm instead of 6X9. If I use the counter I get 12 images. If I use the frame numbers on the backing paper, I only get 8. The shutter was sticking so I only got four so it’s a moot point for this roll.
The images are really soft but I like this one with a raven.
This is a strange variant of the Brillant. The only picture I’ve been able to find that has the Voigtar 75cm/f7.7 lens and T/B/75/25 shutter speeds is on an older Bakelite body with a rotating accessory door. Mine is hinged. The older versions also had apertures of f7.7 (f9 widest on some), f11, and f22 which used a rotating punched disk. This camera has f7.7, f11, and f16 but uses a diaphragm. I have no idea who made the shutter. In addition to sticking, the timer isn’t working so I have to dissect it. Maybe there will be a label somewhere inside.